Monday, August 11, 2008

Relieved of Duty

Some of you may know that I began mowing the grass last year. Eric and I had just built our fence (that's right, with our own hands!) and I really enjoyed working with him. So I decided that I could help him out some more by mowing. He has pretty bad allergies and so lots of times, after he does the mowing, he sneezes for several days afterwards. He has never asked me to do it, I just started doing it. Anyway, I didn't realize that it is a pretty good workout. We have a corner lot and have quite a bit of grass to cut. So, I began to lose some weight from all the sweating (who knew that those things went together?!!) Another benefit of mowing if you have 3 kids is that the sound of the mower drowns out all but the most important noises. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, Eric mentioned to Isaac that when he got big enough, he'd be able to mow the grass and earn some money. Isaac decided he was big enough right then. He mowed the side yard and most of the front before calling it quits. Sunday afternoon, Eric and Isaac went out to cut the grass before some rain came. After I got the little ones down I went out and this is what I saw:
I asked Eric if there was anything I could do...did they need any help? He said no. It looks like my days of mowing are mostly over. Isaac made $12. $10 for the grass he cut (front and side) and $2 for the pinecones he picked up. He has already calculated how many weeks it will take him to save $130 for a Nintendo DS if he mows once a week. I'm pretty sure we can't afford his yard service, but we'll see how diligent he is! Nothing like starting at a young age to learn about hard work and money management, right!

One other picture I wanted to show you. Last Monday, Isaac had 3 teeth pulled to make room for others to come in straight. We are so grateful to Steve Gandy (a friend at church) who made it super easy on Isaac. Here's a picture of his gappy grin.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Hurray for Isaac on the lawn mowing thing....but man, you're going to miss your workout!!!

I'm amazed at how many kids I know who have to have teeth pulled...and oddly enough, most of them are red-heads (wonder if there's any correlation?)

We on the other hand, have NOT had that issue...Hannah gets a loose tooth and wiggles it till it falls out, generally in one day. Often, they are truly NOT ready to go yet. We know this fact to be true, since she lost her 4 front teeth late last summer, and is still waiting for the outside two to come in...one has FINALLY showed itself. Good thing the big front ones weren't quite as slow!!!

Eric Livingston said...

and its not even a self propelled mower!

Dana said...

I remember my parents used to make me mow the lawn - but I never got $10 for it, though! Isn't it great when they get old enough to "help"? :)

Anonymous said...

I know a great landscape company if this group doesnt work out!

So proud of Isaac. Big Boy!

Stacey