Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Little Bit of Personal Trivia

I am a person who has led a fairly sheltered life. I don't have fantastic, amazing things that I have done or accomplished (unless you count my children, which I do). I'm totally pleased with that; I don't mind it at all.

There is, however, one fact about me that I think is fairly unique: I have never lived in the same geographic location for more than about 3 1/2 years. ( I take that back, I guess I lived in North Dakota for right at 4 years. But we lived in 2 different houses while there) The house that I have lived in the longest is the first one we had in ND (it was a 4-plex) and that was for about 3 years, then my Dad made rank and we moved into a duplex (luxury of luxuries!). The first real house that I remember living in was our house in Nebraska (I was 13), my parents bought that one because we were supposed to be there for 4-5 years. Later, when Eric and I got married, we lived in Searcy, AR for a while, then 2 apartments in San Antonio before renting our first house there. Then he went into the AF and we moved into military housing in Monterey CA for 14 months, followed by a 6 month stint (and another apartment) in San Angelo, TX. Then we went to GA. We rented our first house there and stayed about a month (there were tons of problems with that house and the landlord wasn't interested in fixing them...and I was in the early stages of pregnancy and wasn't inclined to be in limbo for a long time). The second house we rented we really liked. We had been told that the waiting list for on-post housing was over a year so we felt comfortable signing a 12 month lease. After getting all settled, 3 months later the housing office calls and says a unit is available so we move again (I was 6 months pregnant at this time...not much help in the moving) We lived on post for a little over a year and a half (Isaac came home to this house, ( another 4 -plex and really run down) When we had about 2 years left in GA we decided to try to buy our own house. It was beautiful and we loved it. Our very own home (Ethan was brought home to this house). We sold it in May of 2004 when we moved back to SA. We rented a house in SA before Eric got a permanent job there and lived in it for about 7 months. We bought our 2nd house (I was again 6 months pregnant and it was the middle of the summer and I was REALLY not a help in the move) that we loved even more than the first and intended to stay in it until we were old and gray. We lived there for 9 months (Jaylie was brought home to this house) ! Then came here to Jackson MS where we have bought our 3rd house and love it more than any other house that we have ever lived in. This past May marked our longest time at any one address in our 13 years of marriage:26 months. Here's hoping that we stay at this address for many moons.
I don't have digital images of all those homes, but I do of the ones we've owned. Here ya go.

336 Avery Landing, Martinez, GA
April 2002-June 2004
2606 Circle Tree, San Antonio, TX
May, 2005-Feb. ,2006
Ridgeland, Ms
2/2006-present

In case you're keeping count, this is our 13th address. I had 11 before we got married. We're really good movers!



Hey, I hope y'all are enjoying the Olympics. What has been your favorite parts so far? Mine has been when the US men won the 4x100 Freestyle relay. I couldn't believe it! So cool!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Just watching Michael Phelps make history last night was fantastic...as was watching Dara Torres win the silver (losing the gold by SUCH a narrow margin!) and watching the women bounce back from their sad loss in the team event to capture 1 & 2.

I have had a LOT of moves in my lifetime...had over 32 by the time I was 30...add the 3 in the Atlanta area (in 4 years) and the 4 since then...and we're headed for another move in December....I think I am up to 46 or more....ick.

TexasNeals said...

WoW! i'm right there w/ you! 13 towns, not couting w/in town moves! crazy! now that i have children, i can't imagine doing it!?

and i'm w/ you, the men's swimming relay's have been the most exciting for me too!! ;)

Dana said...

Okay, your post made me add them up - I'm on address #25; working on 26! Crazy! But I wouldn't have traded it for anything...

Dixie said...

Funny how all of us 'frequent movers' wouldn't have changed it and have managed to have pretty healthy lives and perspectives. I definitely don't want to do that to my kids, though. When we moved here, it was Isaac's 5th house in 5 years...a trend we hope to put a stop to.

Anonymous said...

Oh my... and I thought I moved a lot! If nothing else, military life teaches you how to pack and move properly. :)

Anonymous said...

We're having trouble getting American coverage of the Olympics (are they over yet?!), but we've been watching French coverage! They have a large emphasis on the lesser known sports at which they excel--fencing, anyone? How about judo? Rowing? And a bit of swimming, which we love! Michael Phelps was so "incroyable!" that we got to see his races. Very cool!

Jeff and I are on our 5th move since marriage, babies on the moving scale. But one was international, which was fun!

Love,
Heatharlyne