Thursday, July 31, 2008

Nothing like discipline and spilled cereal in the morning

A long, LONG time ago I used to wake up to an alarm clock, getting me out of bed for school and then work. I always hated and resented this intrusion. But still, on the weekends, I slept until I was ready to wake up. Then, as a mother with babies, I was awoken to the sound of cries; sometimes happy sounds and sometimes not, but still, waking up to a baby is NOT the same as waking up to an alarm. There is some degree of pleasantness to it since it means I did, in fact, have a baby and that has always made me happy. This summer has marked the beginning of my children not needing me immediately when they wake up. I LOVE IT. This means that on most days, they get up around 8ish and go upstairs to play and leave me to rest in bed until close to 9 (I know, how luxurious is that?!?!) But today, I woke up to screams---I mean screams---from both Ethan and Jaylie from upstairs. I cam up here and they were on opposite sides of the room. The problem was that Jaylie was playing on the computer and didn't want Ethan to watch her---from across the room. Jaylie has become quite the yeller recently. Eric says it might be because she's the littlest with the smallest voice and needs to compete using volume. It might be because her best friend (also the youngest with 2 big brothers) has a loud voice (we love you Ella B). Whatever it is, she yells---frequently. So I run upstairs, assess the situation and ban Jaylie from the computer for the rest of the day. She goes downstairs wailing. Isaac (who is banned from computer, game cube AND TV for the day) decides he'll fix her and himself breakfast---rice krispies. Marvelous. I go and lay back down and let my ears stop ringing. All is well in the kitchen until Isaac moves Jaylie's booster from the kitchen table (where "It's too sunny." she says) to the bar and in the process spills her entire bowl of cereal. I hear him say,"Oh, man!" followed by the sound of dripping. He comes in and is very apologetic which is fine. I try to never be mad about spills---it's just an accident, but when I go take a look at the damage, I had to take several deep breaths. I don't know when the last time was that I cleaned up that size of a mess. It was a big bowl of cereal, complete with sugar sprinkled on top, and there was none of it left in the bowl. Sticky milk was dripping down the wall, the bar stool and puddling on the floor. Isaac did help me clean it up...but I will be mopping today. I HATE mopping. Nevertheless, everyone did get fed, clothed and now, I'm in a super mood to go to Walmart for groceries and school supplies. (there is no font or anything to make the word 'super' actually look sarcastic...but I think we all know that no one is ever in a super mood at walmart. Especially when shopping with 3 kids)
Pray for me

Have a fantastic day


PS. I just have gotten home from our 2 1/2 hour trip to walmart. I'll let your imagination run wild with that. We had no potty accidents at least. The kids did eat half way through a box of 'Nilla Wafers and then I had a moment of weakness and bought a bag of Ghirardelli chocolates to keep me sane.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

LOL OK, Dixie, I know this wasn't funny at the time, but I can just picture it -- with the cereal all down the wall and everywhere. Isaac's, "Oh, man," when he was trying so hard to be sweet and take care of his baby sister. It almost isn't worth the extra moments in bed, but I remember doing the same thing. Did you ever see the Family Circus cartoon where the little girl is saying, "Mom, Jeffy's looking at me!!"? It's funny and so typical of our children. I hope the WalMart trip went better than expected and the rest of your day is great. I enjoy hearing your stories. :) Love you, Dixie, Joyce

Carol Beasley said...

Do you remember the crashed and broken cereal bowls that perished when we lived at RAFB and Jason would get down the bowls and cereal for you two?