Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter 2009

We had a wonderful Easter this past weekend. Eric's parents came down on Friday afternoon. the weather was really nice Friday and Saturday and so we spent most of it outside.


The kids played in the backyard while Eric cooked burgers and we ate on the patio Friday night.


Saturday we played. Eric, Isaac and Grandpa played catch in the backyard for a while then we all went to a nearby park. This park is real neat because it is right on the reservoir. Even though there isn't much wind in Jackson, usually, there is almost always a breeze there coming off the water. The kids ran and played in all the open space and we ate KFC.

The weather was going to be turning bad on Easter Sunday so we did the egg hunt in the backyard after nap time on Sat. They had lots of fun and found all 74 eggs that had been hidden. Sunday I woke with such a feeling of excitement and expectation. I can only attribute this to Christ's resurrection because this is certainly NOT my usual frame of mind first thing in the morning. But I was really excited to be going to celebrate His rising with our church family. The kids opened their Easter presents and had on their pretty clothes. Worship was wonderful. Eric and Jerry had put together a great service and I was really uplifted. I know, in our tribe (the church of Christ) we have shied away from celebrating Easter with all our Christian brothers and sisters in other tribes. The reasoning (growing up) had always been,"We celebrate Easter every Sunday." As an adult, I now think that is really silly. It is wonderful to celebrate every Sunday in the form of the Lord's Supper, (and truly, every church celebrates every week, even if the Lord's supper isn't observed. Afterall, why would anyone be in a Christian church if Christ had not indeed, risen from the dead) but knowing that is is the day that Jesus' disciples found the tomb empty is really exciting to me.


After we got home we had pictures in the backyard followed by a super yummy lunch. No ham this year. Eric and I planned the menu and have decided that this will become our traditional Easter lunch. Here's what we had: Fresh fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips, yogurt and berry parfaits (thanks Liz), breakfast tacos, and monkey bread.
Naptime was right after lunch and then the storms started. We got quite a bit of rain. It was refreshing. Eric's parents headed home this morning. It was a wonderful weekend. I hope you and your family had a memorable time celebrating the redeeming love of our great God.

Blessings
DDon't mind me. Just look at the rest of my lovely family. I don't know why I'm squinting so bad in this picture!

3 comments:

TexasNeals said...

aren't you the smartest mommy!!! i wish we'd have hunted eggs on saturday!!! you'll have to call me next time and give me a heads up on the weather....planning ahead is something that i'm still learning!!!
i loved the family picture. you have such beautiful kiddos! and your back yard looks like a park! so neat.
glad you had a nice easter! :)

Veronica said...

Your family looks so sweet!

I miss Easter in Mississippi. The flowers. The sunshine. The adorable sundress your daughter is wearing. It is still cold and windy up here. Bah.

Liz said...

Great picts. I love the meal tradition. It will be a good one.