Thursday, December 4, 2008

More funnies

I realize that you're probably wondering why I'm so chatty all of a sudden. I have no idea but there keep being things I think are cute or funny that I want to remember so I figure I'll record them here. These may be random, sorry about that.

Isaac had his first basketball practice tonight. He's the tallest on his team. He is playing in UPWARD so he was so excited to come home and tell me that he got to talk about Jesus tonight at basketball.

I overheard him telling a friend that it is bad to write 'X-mas' because it takes 'Christ' out of Christmas. I asked him if his teacher told him that and he said yes. I love that a pastor's wife is my son's teacher at school and I love that it is ok for kids to talk about Jesus in school here (public school no less) Last year, they regularly prayed before their snack. It was all student led and initiated, but she did participate and love that.

When Jaylie wants to take a nap in just her undies she says she wants to 'sleep in her tummy'.
She also calls our dog Gretchen, Skretchen, for some reason.

I love that Ethan enjoys school so much and would like to go everyday but is consistently 'worn out' when he comes home. He always is grumpy and says "I'm just worn out. I need to go to bed."

I also love that Ethan has started to say, "You're pulling my leg!"

I love that Advent has begun and that my kids know what that means. They look forward to the lighting of the candles and the special time together. When we got the nativity set out today, Jaylie carried around baby Jesus and said sweet things to him in her high little voice. She thinks Mary is pretty.

I may have more tomorrow and I may not. Everyone have a wonderful weekend.
D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading the sweet, funny things the children say! Thanks, Dixie. And what a wonderful, quick way to keep their words and wisdom written down.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the X is an abreviation that is sometimes used for Christ, so it is not all that bad.

Linda said...

This was in our paper yesterday:

"As I was driving on the west side of town last evening, I saw a sign in front of one of our local churches which read, "There is no X in Christmas." Actually, beginning some time in the mid-16th century, the abbreviation Xmas came into being with the "X" representing the Greek letter "chi" which stood for "Christos" or Christ. So you see, there is, in fact, an "X" in "Christmas", if you're in a hurry and want to abbreviate. In no way is it disrespectful or blasphemous; it's only short."

I'm not so sure I like that...while it may all be true, it's STILL not using the word Christ. As Christians, we are often persecuted for our beliefs, and if we begin to allow this to be taken from us, or to allow it to be "shortened" or use it as a substitute for Christ, then what comes next?