Tuesday, November 10, 2009

untitled

Sometimes, I don't post just because I can't think of what to title the darn thing. Hence the unimaginative title today.

Hope everyone is easing into November nicely. You do realize that Christmas is around the corner and that you should have at least started thinking about gift lists and all that, right? This year, we are getting a rather expensive (for us) thing for the family (I guess there's really no danger of saying what it is, since none of my kids read my blog...but still, just in case) and then one thing for each kid. I've already gotten their one thing and have to order the Big Thing. All in all, I'm feeling pretty good about the gift list at this point. I have good ideas about everyone else, hoping for new floors or new countertops for me :)

For Thanksgiving this year, our church is hosting the men who live at the Billy Brumfield house in the family center at church. This is a shelter for homeless men and several men at our church have faithfully developed relationships with them over the years. Anyway, instead of giving money to send a lunch down there, we're having them come to our building and we've been invited to eat with them there. So, I'm helping cook a few potato casseroles and will help serve but other than that, the Thanksgiving plan is taken care of. I'm real excited for it this year. I think it will be a great way to share...I am thankful that I can share.

Isaac will be starting UPWARD basketball practices at the end of the month. He is outside every evening practicing his shot. Hopefully it will pay off and he'll have a rewarding season. We all really enjoyed the UPWARD program last year. It's the best possible way, in my opinion, for kids to ease into competitive sports.

Ethan has had a milestone. He has begun to read silently. He was sounding things out before school started this summer, but has just developed a love of reading so quickly. The other evening, I noticed him reading silently and then Isaac walked by him and did a double-take. Then he looked at me and said,"Ethan's reading in his head!" Pretty cool.

Jaylie is also starting to sound things out so I have no doubt she'll be an early reader. It's fun when they start realizing that there are words all around them. She loves ballet still and has a blast dancing everywhere we are.

I hope everyone has a great week and is enjoying the season of Thankfulness and eagerly anticipating the celebration of the coming Lord. I love this time of year!

Much love
D

1 comment:

Joyce said...

That is sooo neat that Ethan is reading silently and liking it so well. Brings tears to my eyes. :) His love of reading will serve him well. He's growing up too fast. I'm sure Jaylie will love to read also. Wish we could come see Isaac's games. Hope he has fun playing.