Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Conversations with Isaac

On our way home from school today, this is how the conversation went with Isaac.

Isaac: I wonder what color Gretchen sees us in; black or white.
Me: I think she sees us in both. Like if we're wearing yellow, she'd see white and if you have on blue jeans, those would look black. I think she sees everything in shades of black and white, not one or the other.
Isaac: I think that whoever put color into movies should do that to dogs' eyes.
Me: Well, a dog sees like that because that's the way God made them to see.
Isaac: Yes, but someone could still fix it so they could see color.
Me: Are you suggesting that something God has made is not perfect in and of itself?
Isaac: Well, a newborn baby can't do anything and doesn't know anything.
Me: Yes, but they are made to grow and learn. That is the way God designed it.
Isaac: But who teaches them?
Me: Parents, this is also the way God planned it to be.
Isaac: Hmmm....Did you know Jews don't believe in Jesus?
Me: Well, some of them do. Most of them don't believe he is the Savior. How do you know that though?
Isaac: My friend in Pathways who is Jewish told me.
Me: I didn't know you had any Jewish friends


Then he told me how they were bidding on a book in their auction today (they bid with points accrued throughout the year) and this book was about prayers and this boy asked if there was anything about Jesus in it. There isn't so he bid on it but apparently Isaac out-bid him because he brought it home)

Me: Did you know he was Jewish before today?
Isaac: Yes, because he had Hannukah at Christmas time.

Then we got home and he was busy talking to Nana.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you. I think it is the first 'debate' (about the perfection of God's creation) we've had and I thought it was interesting to hear him follow an argument to it's conclusion. I also thought it was neat to hear how that led to his conversation with his friend who is Jewish. I love that he knows kids who are different than he is and that he is able to share who he is with them. He is a thinker so I expect to hear more about this over the next few days.

I hope everyone's week is going smoothly. We have field day on Friday and I've been organizing the volunteers for that. It should be a fun day if the weather will cooperate. We just have 5 1/2 days left! Woo hoo!

Blessings
D

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love baby times, but I am enjoying having thinking conversations with Caitlyn. It's neat to see her brain working and beginning to reason. We haven't had too awful much of serious conversation, but it's fun when it happens. and sometimes a bit scary... what an awesome and humbling responsibility God has given us to help shape and mold these wonderful creations into Christ-followers! Keep up the good work! :)