Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Yellow Dust and Air Conditioning

Those of you in South Texas or other real dry areas might not understand this post but if you've ever lived in the Southeast, you know about the horrors of pine tree pollen. Every spring, pine trees put out this yellow pollen. You can see the clusters gathering on the ends of all the branches, and then, it lets go and covers EVERYTHING in yellow powder. The only relief is found in rain that comes. The first 2 springs we were here I was unaffected. Last spring, it got me pretty bad with sneezing fits and watery eyes. Well, the pollen started blowing last Sunday afternoon. I had one Zyrtec and took it right away. The temps have been so mild that I've had the windows as much as possible. Monday, Eric was off and was playing in the back yard with the kids. I went to the store for more Zyrtec and went outside to join them. Eric asked,"Is something on fire?" while looking over the fence. No, it was the clouds of yellow stuff. He said,"you may want to close all the windows..." Sure enough, the window sills, table, counters in the kitchen...every horizontal surface were covered with a fine layer of the stuff. So, now we're shut up tight with the A/C running in March (we've had highs in the 80s this week) but no pollen in the house...at least none I can see, I'm sure it's coming in somehow. I am on Zyrtec and Flonase and the sneezing has subsided, but my eyes itch like crazy. Hopefully the rain that's predicted will take care of a lot of the problem, otherwise it will be a few weeks of this. YUK

On the up side, Spring around here is beautiful. My irises and hyacinths are blooming. The pear trees all have new leaves and white blossoms on them. My rose bushes are getting ready to bud...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dixie, remember San Antonio and the cedar pollen? Yellow cars and the whole bit? The pine trees are just a different source, but we had that in Texas, too. We've seen promises of spring in Tennessee - my jonquils were blooming the last week I was home. Then it snowed 2" (the most snow we've seen all winter) and bent them over flat on the ground. Hopefully they will revive. We're not quite so far along in the season as y'all, but we're getting there and I'm very ready for spring. Your flowers are always so pretty. Enjoy! Joyce

Shanda Boatright said...

Hey girl...I fill your pain, Cedar was horrible here in Austin this year.

Hopefully some of this rain we have been getting here makes it way to you soon. I'll warn you though it comes with cold temps. Were were in the 80s last week and now our highs are in the 40s. Brrr..

Shanda Boatright said...

'fill' should be 'feel' in the last post. :o)

Anonymous said...

It is best to know how to take good care of your air conditioning unit to different circumstances. Tips on this would be very great for anybody who has a unit.